Friday 14 December 2012

A Twofour production...

...and I have finished my two week stint at Twofour. It's been a great experience. It's given me a little peak into the world of television. Well, outside of me watching Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe, that is. I did get to look at the progress of two of Twofour's other shows they're currently working on that are past the transcribing stage. The editors and producers don't mince their words either; they told us straight up that most of the footage we've transcribe usually doesn't get used.

The first show we got to look at was another show being worked on for the Discovery Channel, but it's at the other end of the spectrum. It's a hidden camera reality show where parents go on holiday for a week, leaving their kids in charge of the house, and in reality, the parents are spying on them, seeing what they get up to when they're not there. The guys working on that show told us they have over 50 hours of footage to sift through for just the first episode, and each episode is an hour long, so there is a lot of editing to be done. The episode we saw is of two teenage brothers, so you can probably predict what they get up to when the parents are away. There's also the addition of a couple of chickens in the family's garden, which they also have to take care of, which leads to some comedy moments when they start throwing eggs at each other, as well as used straw that they're supposed to be cleaning up.

Moving on to the other show. This one is a more serene affair; it's a clip show about major sporting events in the 1980s. When we visited, they were working on Ayrton Senna, which I consider perfect timing, as I'm a big Formula 1 fan. It talked about his dominance at McLaren, as well as his rivalry with Alain Prost, and his tragic death at the San Marino Grand Prix.


I won't dwell on that though. All in all, I enjoyed my time with Twofour, and I'd love to work with them again sometime. I kindly asked Laura to keep me in mind if anything pops up, so I guess fingers crossed...

No comments:

Post a Comment